Outreach & Education
Background – Intersection of Scientific and Workforce Pipeline, Education, Public Outreach and Communications (WEPOC) Goals
TMT will provide new observational opportunities in essentially every field of astronomy and astrophysics.
- Spectroscopic exploration of the “dark ages” when the first sources of light and the first heavy elements in the universe formed;
- Exploration of galaxies and large-scale structure in the young universe, including the era in which most of the stars and heavy elements were formed and the galaxies in today’s universe were first assembled;
- Investigations of massive black holes throughout cosmic time;
- Exploration of planet-formation processes and the characterization of extra-solar planets;
- Discovery observations that push into the terrestrial-planet regime;
Furthermore, as has been the case for every previous increase in capability of this magnitude, it is very likely that the scientific impact of TMT will go far beyond what we envision today and TMT will enable discoveries that we cannot anticipate.
TMT’s partners, programmatic leadership, and the TMT WEPOC team are dedicated to developing and implementing a strategy that will advance its goals and guide programmatic and funding priorities. TMT’s vision for WEPOC is to develop an innovative outreach and workforce pipeline vision that is commensurate with the inspiring scientific goals associated with TMT.