TMT Image Use Policy
Unless otherwise noted, images and videos on TMT public web site (public pages ending with a tmt.org address) may be used for any purpose without prior permission, subject to the special cases noted below. Publishers who wish to have authorization may print this page and retain it for their records; The TMT International Observatory does not issue image permissions on an image by image basis.
By electing to download the material from this web site the user agrees:
- that TMT makes no representations or warranties with respect to ownership of copyrights in the images, and does not represent others who may claim to be authors or owners of copyright of any of the images, and makes no warranties as to the quality of the images. TMT shall not be responsible for any loss or expenses resulting from the use of the images, and you release and hold TMT harmless from all liability arising from such use.
- to use a credit line in connection with images. Unless otherwise noted in the caption information for an image, the credit line should be "Courtesy TMT International Observatory".
- that the endorsement of any product or service by TMT or any of the TMT partners must not be claimed or implied.
- Prior written approval must be obtained to use the TMT insignia logo. These images may not be used by persons who are not TMT employees or on products (including web pages) that are not TMT sponsored. In addition, no image may be used to explicitly or implicitly suggest endorsement by TMT or TMT partners of commercial goods or services. Requests to use the TMT logo may be directed to email@example.com
- If an image includes an identifiable person, using the image for commercial purposes may infringe that person's right of privacy or publicity, and permission should be obtained from the person. TMT generally does not permit likenesses of current employees to appear on commercial products.
- TMT contractors and vendors who wish to use TMT images in advertising or public relation materials should direct requests to the firstname.lastname@example.org
- Some image and video materials on the TMT public web sites are owned by organizations other than the TMT International Observatory. These owners have agreed to make their images and video available for journalistic, educational, and personal uses, but restrictions are placed on commercial uses. To obtain permission for commercial use, contact the copyright owner listed in each image caption and/or credit. Ownership of images and video by parties other than the TMT International Observatory is noted in the caption material and/or image credit with each image.
About High-Resolution Images
For any image which has a "High-Resolution" download option, that download will be the highest available resolution and the widest crop that TMT has available. Available resolutions can vary. TMT opts not to upsource images as better results are usually attained by allowing the graphic designer or printer with the need for the higher resolution to do the upsource.
In many cases, screen-resolution counterparts are provided for high-resolution images. These are intended for online viewing and preview, and have not been optimized for print. TMT recommends all publications use the high-resolution images.
In situations where a high-resolution image is not specifically provided on the website, the TMT International Observatory does not have high-resolution versions of the image available. However, when image credit is given to sources other than TMT International Observatory, high-resolution images may be available through those other institutions, and the user is encouraged to contact them directly.